Thursday, 22 December 2011

The true way to love someone.......


As we move through the holidays, I am reminded of what is important. Although I am fond of the spirit of kindness which embodies Christmas, we too often get lost in the storm of holiday purchases and twinkly lights. Much of the same can be said of love and people sometimes ask me what my ideal vision of love entails. I have often prided myself on not being too materialistic because I know what it’s like to be on both sides of the fence. As a man once said, “I’ve dined with kings and queens......and I’ve slept in alleys and dined on pork and beans.” I’ve had things and I’ve had to live without things. In the end, it’s not what matters and if there is a place we go after this, one things is for sure: we can’t take our possessions with us. So what is important? What is the true and purest way to love? As I’ve explained before, trying to answer such a question is akin to encapsulating the exact square footage of the universe. It simply can’t be done by conventional description. In such cases, I often find symbols and stories, parables and passages to be much more enlightening in cases where description fail. I wrote a short piece on love a while back and thought I would share it because to me, it is the true way to love someone. I hope it sheds some light:

This passage is from the 1956 movie "The Ten Commandments" which stars Charlton Heston in the lead role as Moses. It is a wonderful movie with many lessons of life nestled within its religious context. No matter what faith one comes from, all can take some tidbit of wisdom away from this epic film, regardless of whether you believe or not. The details are often just trifles and truth can be found in many places. The following is what Sephora (a sheperd girl) says to Moses after he is banished from a life of riches as the Prince of Egypt. He was proclaimed to be the deliverer who would lead the Hebrew slaves from bondage and into freedom. Moses feels lonely at this point, longing for his former love, and feels uncertain about the path his life should take. When asked about his former love, he admits she was beautiful but Sephora reminds him there is a beauty beyond the senses:


Sephora:

"A jewel has brilliant fire........ ...but it gives no warmth.

Our hands are not so soft........ but they can serve.

Our bodies not so white.........but they are strong.

Our lips are not perfumed......... but they speak the truth.

Love is not an art to us............. It’s life to us.

We are not dressed in gold and fine linen.............strength and honor are our clothing.

Our tents are not the columned halls of Egypt.......but our children play happily before them.

We can offer you little….........but we offer all we have."



-Beautiful in its simplicity and truth. The music and acting do this more justice than I ever can, but hopefully their eloquence will be captured by someone. Whenever you feel lonely, or scared or uncertain; because of what someone has done to you, or because of something you have done to someone else.....think of these words, and may they give you strength. Love, health, and prosperity to all as we close in on the holiday seasons.....the journey is almost over......as a new one waits just over the horizon.....


No comments:

Post a Comment